Pentosan Equine Injection
Potent Stimulant of Cartilage Synthesis Repair and Protection
Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium 250 mg/ml
Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium (PPS)
- A semi-synthetic polysaccharide polymer based on extract of the Beechwood plant
- A sulfated heparinoid with reduced anti-coagulant effects and enhanced anti-inflammatory, fibrinolytic, and tissue trophic effects
- Directly stimulates joint repair, rather than simply masking pain like many joint treatments
PENTOSAN EQUINE ACTIVELY REVERSES EXISTING JOINT DAMAGE AND PROTECTS AGAINST FURTHER DEGRADATION VIA 5 DIRECT ACTIONS :
1. Improves Cartilage Quality : Chondrocytes are stimulated to produce more proteoglycans to build and repair cartilage matrix.
2. Improves Joint Fluid Quality : Synovial fibroblasts are stimulated to produce increased amounts of high molecular weight hyaluronic acid resulting in more normally-viscous fluid for optimal lubrication and shock-absorption.
3. Inhibits Destructive Enzymes : The release of many degradative enzymes which damage cartilage and cause peri-articular inflammation are inhibited. In addition, release of an enzyme which inhibits these degradative enzymes is stimulated.
4. Provides Anti-Inflammatory Activity : Inflammation is reduced via a powerful inhibitory effect on all mediators of the arachidonic acid cascade and lysosomal catabolic enzymes. leukocyte migration into joints also reduced.
5. Increases Blood Supply to Joints : Strong fibrinolytic action promotes dissolution of thrombi and fibrin deposits, and mobilisation of lipids and cholesterol in synovial tissues and subchondral blood vessels. This improves blood exchange to maximise healing ability and promote normal intraosseus pressure.
An aid in the treatment of non-infectious, inflammatory joint disease in horses. In particular :
1. Osteoarthritis - especially with involvement of multiple joints
2. Osteochondrosis dissecans
3. Traumatic Joint and peri-articular inflammation
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Intramuscular Dose : 3 mg/kg Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium at 5-7 days intervals for 4 injections. i.e. 6mL(1 vial) Pentosan equine for a 500 kg horse every 5-7 days fot 4 doses.
Intra-Articular Dose : 250 mg Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium by aseptic technique once weekly for up to 4 injections i.e. 1 mL ( 1/6 vial) Pentosan Equine per joint once weekly for up to 4 doses.
PENTOSAN EQUINE has an affinity for cartilage and, for maximum effect tissue should be exposed to the drug over an extended period, hence the 4 injections. Depending on the response of the horse and at the discretion of the treating veterinarian, the course fo 4 weekly injections can be repeted at a later stage, or single injections can be given at weekly to monthly intervals for an extended period.
In vitro studies suggest that PENTOSAN EQUINE is perticularly effective and displays synergy, with concurrent use of JOINT GUARD or COSEQUIN EQUINE (Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate supplement) to provide the essential raw mwterials for joint repair and maintenence.
Use in horse with clotting defects, traumatic haemorrhage, infection renal or hepatic failure or within 48 hours of surgety.
Meat Withholding Period (Horses) : 28 Days.
Storage Below 25C (Air Conditioning). Do nit Freeze. Protect from light.