GastroGard (Omeprazole) Oral Paste for Equine Ulcers
GastroGard is the first and only medication approved by the FDA to treat Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome. GastroGard has been shown to safely and effectively treat existing stomach ulcers in horses and foals 4 weeks of age and older. It contains the active ingredient omeprazole which works to reduce stomach acid production at the source - the proton pump. With fewer active pumps, your horse's stomach produces sufficient acid to break down food, but not the excess acid that causes ulcers. By suppressing gastric acid production, GastroGard also helps prevent the recurrence of stomach ulcers.
- The only FDA approved product to treat equine gastric ulcers
- Helps reduce stomach acid production that causes ulcers
- Contains the active ingredient omeprazole
- Safe for horses and foals 4 weeks of age and older
- Provided as an oral paste
How it Works:
GastroGard's active ingredient, omeprazole, is a gastric acid pump inhibitor that blocks the secretion of gastric acid regardless of the stimulus.
For treatment and prevention of recurrence of gastric ulcers in horses and foals 4 weeks of age and older
For treatment of gastric ulcers, Gastrogard Paste should be administered orally once-a-day for 4 weeks at the recommended dosage of 1.8 mg omeprazole/lb body weight (4 mg/kg). For the prevention of recurrence of gastric ulcers, continue treatment for at least an additional 4 weeks by administering Gastrogard Paste at the recommended daily maintenance dose of 0.9 mg/lb (2 mg/kg).
Diretions for use:
- Gastrogard Paste for horses is recommended for use in horses and foals 4 weeks of age and older. The contents of one syringe will dose a 1250 lb (568 kg) horse at the rate of 1.8 mg omeprazole/lb body weight (4 mg/kg). For treatment of gastric ulcers, each weight marking on the syringe plunger will deliver sufficient omeprazole to treat 250 lb (114 kg) body weight. For prevention of recurrence of gastric ulcers, each weight marking will deliver sufficient omeprazole to dose 500 lb (227 kg) body weight.
- To deliver Gastrogard Paste at the treatment dose rate of 1.8 mg omeprazole/lb body weight (4 mg/kg), set the syringe plunger to the appropriate weight marking according to the horse's weight in pounds.
- To deliver Gastrogard Paste at the dose rate of 0.9 mg/lb (2 mg/kg) to prevent recurrence of ulcers, set the syringe plunger to the weight marking corresponding to half of the horse's weight in pounds.
- To set the syringe plunger, unlock the knurled ring by rotating it 1/4 turn. Slide the knurled ring along the plunger shaft so that the side nearest the barrel is at the appropriate notch. Rotate the plunger ring 1/4 turn to lock it in place and ensure it is locked. Make sure the horse's mouth contains no feed. Remove the cover from the tip of the syringe, and insert the syringe into the horse's mouth at the interdental space. Depress the plunger until stopped by the knurled ring. The dose should be deposited on the back of the tongue or deep into the cheek pouch. Care should be taken to ensure that the horse consumes the complete dose. Treated animals should be observed briefly after administration to ensure that part of the dose is not lost or rejected. If any of the dose is lost, redosing is recommended.
- If, after dosing, the syringe is not completely empty, it may be reused on following days until emptied. Replace the cap after each use
Do not use in horses intended for human consumption. Keep this and all drugs out of the reach of children. In case of ingestion, contact a physician. Physicians may contact a poison control center for advice concerning accidental ingestion
In efficacy trials, when the drug was administered at 1.8 mg omeprazole/lb (4 mg/kg) body weight daily for 28 days and 0.9 mg omeprazole/lb (2 mg/kg) body weight daily for 30 additional days, no adverse reactions were observed.
Contains 7 Syringes